Who says you can’t eat healthy during the holidays!? It’s super easy to replace those recipes with flavorful, better-for-you alternatives. All it takes is an open-mind and some key ingredients that not only bring the flavor, but also score wellness benefits. Here’s one side dish that WON’T disappoint your mashed potato loving guests!
My colleagues said is was garlic-packed and “mmm, mmm good!” Read on for an explanation of the ingredients used and the complete recipe…
So, why cauliflower? Well, compared to potatoes, cauliflower is low-carb, vitamin-packed, and gluten-free. Let’s face it, your mashed potatoes aren’t anything special without all those other rich ingredients. Plus, how time-consuming is it to peel all of them, am I right?! So, it feels like a no-brainier to swap them out fora less-starchy, low-maintenance vegetable.
And what about the other ingredients? First, unsweetened Greek yogurt adds protein and you don’t have to worry about added sugar from this key dairy-thickener. Also, all the garlic and chive you’ll use, will pack this potato-free mash with TONS of guilt-free flavor. Plus, who needs butter when the garlic-infused olive oil will keep the mixture smooth and savory. Lastly, less than a 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese is a reasonable amount to make all the difference to your taste-buds.
So, now that you know this is a tried and true healthy-alternative to mashed potatoes, why not give it a go!? If you’re still on the fence about trying it, just remember, that thick, creamy texture and strong, savory flavors will NOT be compromised; And neither will your’s and your guests’ diets.
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 heaping tbs olive oil
- 3 heaping spoonful’s unsweetened Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 small handfuls fresh chives
- Fresh ground salt & pepper
- Chop cauliflower into florets; Set aside.
- Slice all the large garlic cloves; Set aside.
- Prep Insta Pot or stovetop cookware for steaming.
- Steam cauliflower for 10 minutes.
- Sautee garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Combine steamed cauliflower & sautéed garlic into a bowl & begin to mash.
- Add in Greek yogurt, grated parmesan cheese, a couple pinches of salt & pepper, 1 small handful of chives chopped up using scissors.
- Alternate mashing ingredients with scraping them off the sides of the bowl & folding in until mixture is smooth. A potato masher & rubber spatula work well.
- Top with more fresh cut chives, grated parmesan cheese, & a pinch of salt & pepper.